Acceptable Library Use Policy
The Mary Esther Public Library is supported by city and county taxpayers, who expect our facilities to be clean, comfortable, and safe places for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing and attending library or community sponsored programs and meetings. To this end, the library is responsible for establishing rules of conduct to protect the rights and safety of library staff, members, visitors, and volunteers, and for preserving and protecting the library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
- The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- The Library is not responsible for the supervision of your children. If your child is not supervised, you will be asked to leave.
- The Library Staff reserves the right to remove anyone exhibiting behavior deemed disruptive to library use
The following actions are among those prohibited on Library property:
- Engaging in any illegal activity or activities in violation of law or library policy
- Possessing or consuming alcohol, illegal drugs or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Smoking or using tobacco inside the facility or in entryways
- Carrying weapons of any type (except by law enforcement officers)
- Verbal or physical harassment, threatening behavior or obscene behavior of any kind
- Stealing, damaging or defacing property or materials; theft of library materials will result in legal action
- Soliciting or panhandling
- Fighting, running, pushing, yelling or banging on computer equipment
- Inappropriate use of the internet, i.e. viewing pornographic material, etc.; this will result in termination of computer privileges and possible loss of library privileges
- Creating loud, unreasonable or disturbing noise, including electronic equipment or cell phones
- Bare feet, inappropriate attire, offensive body odor or personal hygiene
- Moving furniture without staff permission
- Bringing in animals, other than service animals, without staff permission
- Distributing or posting materials that have not been approved by library staff
- Lying down or sleeping anywhere in the library
- Littering or bringing in garbage or articles with a foul odor
- Bringing in food or drink except when authorized by library staff
- Bathing, washing clothes or sleeping in restrooms