Public Works


Our mission is to provide exemplary maintenance services to our facilities for staff and the community of the City of Mary Esther to enjoy.


To maintain and repair city facilities, city parks, city streets and signage, pier/boat launch, cemetery and stormwater ditch/infrastructure.

Citizens can contact maintenance for all problems, repairs or requests on the following:

  • Curb and Sidewalk repair
  • Potholes
  • Regulatory signs (stop / speed limit / no parking / yield)
  • Resurfacing
  • Street markers/signage
  • Traffic signals
  • Street lights
  • Visibility / obstruction / faded traffic control signs
  • Clogged or broken storm drains

Installation of Street Lights

The City of Mary Esther accepts requests from private citizens to have Florida Power & Light (FPL) install a streetlight on residential streets within the city. If FPL installs the light on the homeowner's property at the homeowner's request, then the homeowner is responsible for the bill.  If you would like to have a streetlight installed, call the Public Works Department for further details.

Installation of Street Signs

The Public Works Department takes all requests for street or road name signs and all traffic signs within city limits.  If you are reporting on a damaged or missing sign, call us at 850-243-3566 ext. 123.

Pavement Markings

The Public Works Department maintains all street signs and pavement markings on the City owned paved roads in Mary Esther. Traffic signs and markings on state and county roads within Okaloosa County and other cities are maintained by the respective agencies.  If you have a question or comment relative to maintenance or wish to report damage to road signs or pavement markings, please call us at 850-243-3566 ext. 123 between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Street Light Outage

Streetlights are funded by the City and maintained by Florida Power & Light (FPL). When a streetlight is out or broken you can report it directly to FPL:

Phone: 800-487-6937

You should be ready to provide your name, contact information, the specific problem with the light and address of the light (as well as the P-Tag number if possible). Each pole has a “P-Tag” number which is the best identifier. It is a round silver metal tag with a six digit number following the P. In addition, FPL suggests using a bright color ribbon or tape to mark the power pole so their crews can easily identify the reported light during the day.

Street / Sidewalk Repair

Street and sidewalk maintenance or repairs including potholes, cave-ins and other problems that may be dangerous to pedestrians or vehicles and should be reported to the Public Works Department between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday at 850-243-3566 ext. 123.

Street Sweeping Request

The Public Works Department sweeps the interior City streets every 60 days and the highway roads every 30 days.  In addition to helping keep the city cleaner, sweeping reduces health hazards by ensuring trash doesn't accumulate and become a harborage for insects and rodents. For additional information, or to report an area that needs immediate attention, please call the Maintenance Department at 850-243-3566 ext. 123 between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Traffic Signals

If you need to report a malfunctioning signal, please call the Public Works Department at 850-243-3566 ext. 123 between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.